Banana Republic permanently closes its UK website

Banana Republic was created in 1978 and acquired by Gap in 1983.
// Fashion retailer Banana Republic will close its UK website on May 31
// The website introduced a 60% ‘customer appreciation’ sale to eliminate excess inventory

Banana Republic has announced the permanent closure of its UK and European website on May 31.

The company announced the news on its website, encouraging shoppers to continue shopping as normal until then. The website has also introduced a 60% “customer appreciation” sale to eliminate excess inventory.

The Gap-owned fashion retailer had nine stores across the UK but made the decision to close them all at the end of 2016 due to falling sales and a “thorough assessment”.

While its high street presence ended, Banana Republic continued to be available for purchase online through its own website in the UK.


READ MORE: First Look: Next Brings Gap Back to Britain’s High Street as Oxford Street Concession…


The fashion retailer was founded in 1978 and acquired by Gap Inc in 1983.

The brand was originally established in 1978 and was acquired by Gap in 1983. Gap then closed all of its UK stores in 2021 and signed a franchise agreement with Next. The first of these dealerships opened on Oxford Street in March.

Gap closed all of its stores in the UK and Ireland last year and signed a franchise agreement with Next which acquired 51% of its shares, with Gap inc holding the remaining 49%.

The deal saw Next open its first Gap dealership in its flagship Oxford Street last month, marking the American brand’s return to Britain’s high street after all its stores closed here last year .

Click here to sign up for the free daily Retail Gazette newsletter

Edwin S. Wolfe