Harry Styles cancels concert in Copenhagen after mass shooting at nearby mall

Harry Styles (Ian West/PA) (PA Wire)

A Harry Styles concert in Copenhagen has been canceled after several people were shot dead in a nearby shopping mall.

The former One Direction star, 28, was due to perform at the Royal Arena on Sunday night as part of his highly anticipated Love On Tour shows.

On Sunday afternoon, Danish police responded to a shooting at the Field shopping center less than a mile from the arena, located on the southern outskirts of the city.

Several people were killed and others injured, police said, while a 22-year-old Dane was arrested after being held near the site.

In a Snapchat post, Styles said, “My team and I are praying for everyone involved in the Copenhagen mall shooting. I’m shocked. I love H.”

    (AP)

(AP)

The AP news agency initially reported that the show was to go ahead despite the shooting, as law enforcement in the area told organizers they were cleared to do so safely.

But the show, which was due to start at 8pm local time (7pm UK time), was delayed and then eventually cancelled. Video posted to social media showed an announcer on stage informing fans already in the arena that the concert would not take place and that police would escort them to the subway to leave the area.

“I know this was done to keep everyone safe, but this is so heartbreaking,” one fan wrote on social media.

Styles was set to tour the world in 2020 with his Love On Tour show before the pandemic brought the live music industry to a standstill.

The postponed tour began in September 2021 in Las Vegas before heading across the US, with the European tour kicking off in Glasgow last month.

Edwin S. Wolfe